Ilya Gefter - Visiting Artist
September 9th and 10th at the Yellow Barn Studio and Gallery
September 9th, from 6:30 – 9:00pm
The Hermitage, the Met and the Middle East
$25 for members $35 for nonmembers
This lecture is a reflection of a personal experience of living and working as a painter in over 7 cities on 3 continents: starting in St Petersburg, Russia and arriving at Tel Aviv, Israel in recent years.
For a painter, every new place has its landscape and its art collections to offer. While the landscapes are never the same, the diverse artistic traditions have much in common. Art historical threads make up a breathtaking fabric spreading over continents. The Culture of Painting and the Visual Wisdom it offers have become a motherland to me. I invite everyone to join for a visit of this motherland together.
An artist reception will follow the lecture.
September 9th & 10th, from 10:00 – 4:00pm
Ink into Light workshop (includes pass to lecture)
$350 for members
Ink-painting medium is both elusive and generous in its magical qualities.
To experience its magic, we need skill and control, and at times, we need to loosen the grip on the medium’s flow and let the ink work it’s wonders.
Experiencing the unique characteristics of the medium of ink can sharpen one’s powers of observation and advance painting abilities in any medium.
Workshop includes free admittance to The Hermitage, the Met and the Middle East.
Ilya Gefter - Biography
Ilya Gefter was born in St. Petersburg, Russia in 1980. Ilya studied in USA and Italy completing his BFA at the Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, USA. Received numerous grants that include a full tuition scholarship from the Maryland Institute, the Ontario Arts Council Grant and, twice, the Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation grant.
Gefter moved to Israel in 2004 where he has been active as an exhibiting painter and as an educator in the fields of painting, drawing, art history and aesthetics. In 2015 Ilya has founded the Visual Art Center in Tel Aviv offering art courses and educatonal programs to broad audiences. www.facebook.com/artprojectbyilyagefter
Ilya’s works have been exhibited in numerous solo and group shows in Canada, Israel and Russia. His works are found in public and private collections worldwide. Lives and works in Tel Aviv, Israel and in Toronto, Canada. http://ilyagefter.com
7th Annual Yellow Barn Drawing Exhibition
Labor Day Weekend at the Yellow Barn Studio and Gallery
The Friends of the Yellow Barn are holding a drawing exhibition open to all members of the Friends of the Yellow Barn. The exhibition will take place Labor Day weekend, September 2nd – 4th from 11:00-5:00pm. A closing reception for the exhibition will be held on Monday, September 4th from 5:00-6:30pm. Last year we had over 1,500 visitors over the long weekend. This year Plaza Artist Materials will sponsor two “people’s choice” awards of $250, one award for Yellow Barn teachers and also one for non-teaching, Friends of the Yellow Barn members.
- All work must be created with a non-brush, drawing medium (pastel is accepted), framed and, ready to hang with wire. All work on paper must have glass or Plexiglas. Gallery has the right to turn away work for not following these guidelines.
- Artists must be a Friend of the Yellow Barn (http://yellowbarnstudio.com/membership.htm)
- All artwork must have been created in the last two years.
- Submit your entry fee of $20 via PayPal.
- Email J. Jordan Bruns, Yellow Barn Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org with label info: Name, “Title”, medium, and price in the initial email. 1-2 drawings can be submitted to the exhibition, no size restrictions. Please included jpgs of your work around 1MB if you would like to be considered for promotional material.
- Be prepared to bring a food item to the potluck reception on Monday, September 4th. Please don’t forget serving platters and utensils!
- The Yellow Barn takes a 35% commission on all sold work.
- Monday, August 28th: Deadline to be included in the 7th Annual Exhibition
- Wed or Thurs, (Aug 30 or Aug 31) from 9:30 am - 4:00pm: Drop off art work (label located on back of art)
- Thursday, August 31st from 4:00 – 8:00pm: Hanging Exhibition
- Friday through Monday, September 1st – 4th : Gallery Open from 11:00-5:00pm, (Friday 7:30-9:00pm)
- Monday, September 4th from 5:00-6:30pm: Closing Reception
- Monday, September 4th at 6:30pm: Pick up unsold work
You may join or renew your membership here